Thursday, July 05, 2007

Soliloquy of me-self

O mistress mine, where are you roaming?
O stay and hear! your true-love's coming
That can sing both high and low;
Trip no further, pretty sweeting,
Journey's end in lovers' meeting--
Every wise man's son doth know.

What is love? 'tis not hereafter;
Present mirth hath present laughter;
What's to come is still unsure:
In delay there lies no plenty,--
Then come kiss me,
Sweet and twenty,
Youth's a stuff will not endure.

Carpe Diem by William Shakespeare (Twelfth Night)

Carpe diem - A Latin phrase meaning seize the day or make the best of the present moment.

How I wish that he is still alive now, love his writings although can't really fully comprehend the whole poem due to the usage of classsic English.

Strictly speaking this is not a poem - it is a song from Twelfth Night, (act 2, scene 3) sung by Feste the clown, probably the most complex and powerful character in the play.

Some explanations and interpretations I've found :

".....At Olivia's house Sir Toby calls for a love-song and Feste responds with this. In the play there is a break between the two verses as Sir Andrew and Sir Toby comment.There is double entdre in the line 'that can sing both high and low' - there is the singing of the voice, high and of the penis, low. 'Trip no further pretty sweeting' go no further on your journey all the lover you want is here, this is the journey's end.The second verse is full of the urgency of the young lover, who sees no point in waiting for fulfillment - 'what's to come is still unsure' after all, and there is nothing to gain by delay. He wants his kisses and his loving now, from his 'sweet and twenty' which refers to the age of his love. The final line has all the pathos of a such a song being sung by a mature man to world weary men - they know only too well that 'Youth's a stuff will not endure' its already long over for them....."

"......What's to come is still unsure: In delay there lies no plenty,-- "when shakespeare talks about this he is refering to the blunt fact that what in life comes to you, nothing exactly is sure until the day that it awaits. when you postpone things in life, you aren't sure what you are to receive and what you are to gain or loose....."


As quoted from some forumites.

*****

Ain't this just so a heavenly piece of writing? I'm gonna hit the bookstore for more WS's books soon. English Literature is so sweet~ *blushes*

That said, my Time Traveller Wife's is still left in limbo since I've got no time to put my hands on it. And I've always wondering why fame of poets and their masterpiece come conspicuous after dealth? Can't we just apppreciate the living things instead and motivate such poets to produce more remarkable writings for benefits at large? Bummer...maybe we are just taking things for granted and then acutely guilty after coming into realisation as usual. Just ask youself why don't you treat things better when they are still alive and able to feel and receive it. Once they died, no matter how many hellbank notes, offerings, prayer, chantings...yadda you offer are to no recipient or at least you don't even know where the heck all these things will go to. Probably some are just to contribute to denser Carbon Dioxide concentration level in atmosphere which to say so, they are part of global warming contributors. We are just a bunch of plain sad hypocrites to say the least. Speaking of it, Hungry Ghost Month is approaching. Another offerings burning wave is expected to be seen and the weather is so gonna went cuckoo again. I don't know why but I have the huge tendency to digress all the while while writing my entry, just take it as it is.

Mummy just called and I spoke to grandpa cos the health alarm is alerting on him again. Samething but slightly better than what had happened last week. Well, as the conversation was in Cantonese, therefore it was not so effectively a solicitude. However, being an old man in his 100's I'd say all of us are preparing for the day to come. I'm glad he is being able to live that long across 3 centuries from China to Malaysia. He speaks heavy Cantonese with strong accent of Sei Yap. I barely able to understand what he told me most of the time but just now he was keep on mumbling that "his time has comes to" (yan lou jor, yat ji gou zhong jor, oi zao lor) meaning that "he is old, the time has comes, he wants to go..." or at least it was something similar to this. Haih! My feelings are kinda mixed, should I feel glad for him to live until this age or wrapped up with sorrow? In addition, I know he has always wanted to have a paternal great-grandson, you know the traditional and primitive thinking but can't blame him, he has all the rights to demand in his age. Well, I feel so guilty all this while once I think of it...haih. Is continuing the offspring and carry on the ancestry that important to a Chinese family? I'm fortunate enough to say that my parents and even my grandparents are not so particular in this matter. But still...whatever.

I think I'm gonna learn up playing the tarot cards as my Anthropology's lecturer has triggered my great interest in it. I love to play with it all the while but it's just that I don't equip with the proper skill. Gonna seriously learn that up soon. By the way, should I get the Ryder Waite deck or I-Ching deck? She recommended us to take up the Ryder Waite deck...ahhh I love celtic cross. Oh yea, by the way, today's ANT lesson was very interesting, we learnt about Religion and Magic in psychological and sociological aspects. ^^But the coursework assignment is a still pain in ass :( I know that my team mates are not very happy when I couldn't produce a report on my part today....what to do...I got so many works this week to be done and it will lasts until next week. Deep apologise to all. Somehow, still got time sitting here rattles craps. They won't be reading this rather P&C blog of mine either, so reputasi takkan terjejas gua!

Feeling so cold out of sudden...